Face Masks for Medical Professionals and those Impacted by Covid 19
An experienced sewist and activist in our community is mobilizing mask making. Here are a combination of Kristen Heeringa’s texts to me and my notes from our hangoutscall today. Kristen has been researching as well as consulting Surgeons, ER and other medical professionals about exact needs.
Rectangular general procedure masks
- Wire for nose bridge. Pete will bring home. Available at welding supply shops.
- Interfacing to increase barrier value (see Joann Fabrics instruction)
- A pocket into which another material could be placed for added protection, such as a coffee filter or even Kleenex. (Instructables diyclothfacemask includes pocket feature.) May allow for use of Merv13 filter material or other product identified at some point.
- Ear treatment that can be tightened by the wearer (ie tied or elastic tied to fit) – consider using the instructables approach to the ear connection
- Tight weave, prewashed cotton fabric
- Adult, teen and youth sizes
N95 Mask Covers to Improve Mask Viability Longer
- Three per worker (one on, one backup, one being laundered)
- Tight weave pre-washed cotton fabric
- Kristen has enlarged the pattern. Write firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like the pattern
Links from Kristen and general notes
- This video is good for making the ‘general procedure’ style masks that can be used for families/patients: https://youtu.be/BCJcE-r7kcg
- This site offers a simple rectangular mask. Kristen’s MD advisors suggest a hybrid approach utilizing the wire effect that allows the mask to be snugged along the bridge of the nose: https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Cloth-Face-Mask/
- This has multiple sizes. Also has good info on the value of masks for everyone: https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Cloth-Face-Mask/
- JoAnne Fabrics’ approach also includes interfacing, a good option for increasing screening: https://www.joann.com/make-to-give-response/
- Two other sites with simple instructions sweetredpoppy.com and https://turbanproject.com/patterns
- Another GREAT, simple face mask with a pocket. (As long as we have elastic)https://twitter.com/marklewismd/status/1240850124273672197